Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bath Time!

A couple days ago, we gave Chloe her very first bath at home. Unlike in the States, they give babies immersion baths (as opposed to sponge baths) very early here, even before the umbilical stump falls off. We think it has something to do with the way they are for umbilical stumps here, but never having had a baby in the U.S., we don't really know quite how the practices differ. We had everything laid out on the bed in advance: baby - check! diaper - check! outfit - check! We filled the bathroom sink with very warm water and plunked her in! At the clinic, they taught me to hold her around the back of her neck, folding her ears over with my fingers to keep water from getting into them. They also had me put a washcloth over her so she wouldn't feel so naked. The water temperature they had me put her in was surprisingly warm - 38-39 C was the recommendation, which is about 100 F. But she's only in it for a couple minutes, and really seems to like it - she gets really relaxed in the bath! And here is Daddy dressing her. We were a bit too preoccupied to take pictures of the crying that happened when we took her out of the nice warm bath or did the umbilical care, but rest assured that it did happen. She's not always so placid!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so amazing ... I still cant believe she is here. Cheerish this time she will be one before you know it.

The Fryes

2/12/2007 03:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


I was so excited to read this story and to view the play-by-play pictures. And I love seeing Mike's smile as he does the oh-so-challenging task of pulling those soft little fingers and noodly arm through long sleeves. :-)

I hope you're getting good sleep - I was awful at getting sleep when Samara was eensy-weensy.

I'm off to have some lunch at Seoul Garden. :-)

Love to all three of you!

Heidi Sue

2/15/2007 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Meika said...

It's amazing how much she's changing already! I'm getting much better sleep than Mike because I've been handing Chloe off to my parents after her 6 a.m. feeding and sleeping another few hours... Poor Mike has to get up for work before he gets a few more hours of sleep. :( I've been trying to update this page but haven't been able to log in - I hope to be able to post more pictures soon!

2/19/2007 11:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home