Saturday, November 04, 2006

Holy Cow!

I found an interesting article today on the Michigan Land Use Institute's website about how the Michigan Department of Agriculture is cracking down on small farmers selling directly to consumers - much more harshly than they are on big factory farms, apparently (read more here). I can't say that I'm impressed with the wisdom of this action, especially with the big e.coli spinach scare earlier this year. It seems like there must be a better way to ensure food safety, especially when the threat seems small and theoretical (to my inexpert self). There are a lot of advantages to buying local farm products - I don't like that our state is trying to make it harder to do this. Photo by Emil Lofblom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home